Janaza (Funeral) and Salaat-e- Janaza
Rights of a dead Muslim upon a living Muslims.
This is a known fact that everyone has to die and leave this world .
A dead Muslim has four rights over living Muslims. The right to be washed, shrouded, prayed over, and buried. However Muslims are not obliged to do so for those who die as apostates (Persons changes his religion) or while fighting against them.
Burial rituals should normally take place as soon as possible and include
Washing the deceased's body is obligatory on Muslims; it is a Fard Kifaya, i.e., if some members take the responsibility of doing it, the need is fulfilled, but if no one fulfills it then all Muslims will be accountable.
Washing can be carried out in the following way:
1. A man's body should be washed by men and a woman's by women, but a child's body may be washed by either sex. A husband can wash his wife's body and vice-versa if the need arises.
2. Only one person is needed for washing with someone to help him.
3. It is better to choose a person who knows best how to perform ghusl.
4. Place the body on a high place, e.g., a table or something similar.
5. Remove the deceased's clothes (garments) leaving the private parts covered.
6. Press the stomach gently and clean whatever comes out.
7. For washing, use a piece of cloth on the hands.
8. Only clean water may be used; add some scented oils (non-alcoholic) in the final wash. It is preferable to use warm water.
9. Perform ablution (wudu) for the body, cleaning the teeth and nose from outside only.
10. Wash three times, but if the body is not yet cleaned, continue washing five or seven times - it must be odd numbers.
Turn the body on its left side and begin washing the right side. Then turn it on its right side to wash the left side. This is done in each wash. The first and the second washes are done with water and soap, while the last one with water and scent.
11. Hair should be washed and combed. For women it may be braided in three ribbons.
12. Dry the body with a clean cloth or towel.
13. Add some perfume on the head, forehead, nose, hands, knees and eyes,
1. It must be a clean piece of cloth (preferably white) to cover the whole body.
2. Add some perfume to the kafan (non-alcoholic).
3. Do not use silk cloth for men.
4. Use three pieces for men and five for women, [but each one must cover the whole body.]
5. Tie the front and the rear with a piece of cloth (from the same kafan) in such a way that one can differentiate the head from the legs.
After washing, a dead body, it is wrapped in a shroud (kafan) and put in a coffin. This holds true for everyone except martyrs, who are buried in the clothes in which they were martyred. The corpse is placed in a way, so that its right side faces the Qibla. The congregation then stands to pray before corpse (Janaza).
Salaat-e-Janaza or Namaze Janaza (Funeral prayer)
The Muslims of the community gather to offer their collective prayers for the forgiveness of the dead. This prayer has been generally termed as the Namaze Janaza.The prayer is offered in a particular way with extra (four) Takbirs but there is no Ruku (bowing) and Sijdah (prostrating). It becomes obligatory for every Muslim adult male to perform the funeral prayer upon the death of any Muslim, however when it is performed by the few it will not be obligation for all.
Women also can attend the prayer
Method of Namaze Janaza
The Imam makes the intention (Niyyat) to pray for the deceased and for God’s sake (waaste Allah Ke) with four takbirs. The congregation makes the same intention and also mentions to pray behind the Imam.
1. The prayer begins with first takbir of Allaho Akbar by Imam, [The Imam must say all the takbeer aloud whereas the muqtadee (followers) must repeat them silently.
When first takbir is said by Imam the followers should repeat the takbir silently and lift both the hand up to the ears, palm facing Qibla and keep the hands under the navel, right hand on top of left. Then recite sana with addition of one word :
سُبْحَانَكَ اَّللُهَّم َوِبحَمْدِكَ وَ تَبَاْرَكَ اسْمُكَ َوتَعَالَئ جَدُّكَ وَجَلَّ َثَناءٌكَ وَلَااِلَه غَيْرُكَ
Subhana kalla humma ,wabe hamdeka ,wata baara kasmoka ,wata aalaa jaddoka, wa jalla sanaoka,wala ilaha gairoka.
Glory be to You Oh Allah, and praise be to You, and blessed is Your name, and exalted is Your Majesty, and there is none to be served besides You.
2. The Imam Says the second takbir of Allaho Akbar, which is followed by the followers, this time there is no need to raise the hands and then recite both the Durood Sharif
اَلَّهُمَّ صَلِّ عَلَى ُمحَمَّدِ ُّوعَلَى اَلِ مُحَمَّدٍ كَمَا صَلَّيْتَ عَلَى اِبْرَاهِيْمَ وَعَلَى
اَلِ اَِبْرَاهِيْمَ اِنَّكَ حَمِيْدُ مَجِيِدْ
Allah humma salle ala Mohammadiun wa ala aale Mohammadin kama sallaita ala Ibrahima wa ala aale Ibrahima innaka Hamidum Majeed.
O Allah! send grace and honor on Mohammad and on the family and true followers of Mohammad just as you sent Grace and Honor on Ibrahim and on the family and his true followers. Surely, you are praiseworthy, the Great."
اَلَّهُمَّ بَارِكْ عَلَى مُحَمّدِ ٌوعَلَى اَلِ مُحَمّدٍ
كَمَابَارَكْتَ عَلَى اِبْرََاهِيْمَ وَعَلَى اَلِ اِبْرَاهِيْمَم اِنَّكَ حَمِيُد مَّجِيدْ
Allah humma Barik ala Mohammadiun wa ala aale Mohammadin kama baarakta ala Ibrahima wa ala aale Ibrahima innaka Hamidum Majeed.
"Oh Allah, send your blessing on Mohammad and the true followers of Mohammad just as you sent blessings on Ibrahim and his true followers. Surely you are praiseworthy, the Great."
3. The Imam Says Allaho Akbar, as the third takbir and is followed by the followers in the same way as it was done at the time of second takbir and then recite following dua silently
Allah hummag fir le hayyena, wa mayyetena, wa shaaedena, wa gaaebena, wa sagheerena, wa kabirena, wa zakarena, wa unsana, Allah humma man aah yaiytahu, minna fa aah yehi alal Islam. Waman tawaf faiytahu minna fata waffahu alal Iman.
Oh Allah! Forgive those of us who are alive and those of us who are dead; those of us who are present and those of us who are absent; those of us who are young and those of us who are adults; our males and our females. O`Allah! Whomsoever You keep alive, let him live as a follower of Islam and whomsoever You cause to die, let him die as a Believer.
4. The Imam says the takbir of Allaho Akbar, as the fourth takbir, the followers also repeat the same silently and then salutation on right and then left.
السَّلامُ عَلَيْكُمْ وَرَحْمَةُ اللهِ
This ends the Namaze Janaza for adults.
If the dead person is a minor, the funeral Dua is different for the male and different for the female:
Upto 3rd Takbir the Namaz is same , thereafter the dua is different :
Dua for male child is as under :
Allahummaj alho lana faratau waj alho lana ajrau wa zukhrau waj alho lana shafe au wa Mushaffa an.
Oh! Allah, make him (this child) for our means of preservation and make him a source of reward and treasure for us and make him a pleader for us and one whose pleading is accepted.
Allahummaj alha lana faratau waj alha lana ajrau wa zukhrau waj alha lana shafe au wa Mushaffa an .
Oh! Allah, make her (this child) for our means of preservation and make her a source of reward and treasure for us and make her a pleader for us and one whose pleading is accepted.
1. The grave should be deep, wide and well made.
2. The deceased's body should be laid on the ground with the face toward the qibla, the direction of the ka'aba.
3. A stone, or bricks or some soil should be put under the deceased's head to raise it up.
4. Do not use a pillow or put anything with the deceased inside the grave.
5. Cover the grave with flat stone so that it become like a roof for it. Pour three handfuls of soil.
6. Fill the grave with soil. It is preferable that each one of those present share in this by pouring three handfuls of soil. Raise the level of the grave a little less than one foot in a sloping way.